Saturday, December 1, 2007

My first time

China Jan 2007 087

This was the first restaurant I went to when I came to China the first time back in March 2000, then called Lo Lai, but now Magao. It's right across from the hotel I stayed at, and am currently back at again as our usual hotel undergoes a major renovation. This place gets packed every night and stays open really late to accommodate customers. The food was my first time eating Chinese in China, and I was really impressed at how lightly sauced everything was. Not like the thick syrup sauces used in chinese restaurants in the States. Great soups here too. Still, this is city food next to one of the largest hotels in Beijing that caters to many international travelers. Meaning, even this food isn't exactly like what you can get elsewhere. But it was the first time I got to pick out the fish I wanted with dinner - while it was still alive.

Having just gotten back from lunch there, allow me to show why the food is so good....

Any meal that starts with Tsingtao White Gold beer will be good.

 

Some of today's lunch dishes - clockwise from bottom left: broccoli in garlic; chicken with potatoes and peppers (perfect Chinese comfort food); a vegetable dish that we couldn't identify, but was pretty tasty; a mushroom dish that I didn't touch (I just cannot eat mushrooms); sliced potatoes with spicy peppers; and in the center, shrimp (another food I just don't like).

 

But the main reason why this place is packed at all hours it's open...

Camel hoof and cow penis! Just kidding, though this is prominently displayed on the menu.

 

This is a fantastic, simple sliced beef and noodle dish. The soup is lightly seasoned and the noodles always perfectly done. Noodles (mien) are very important in Chinese cuisine, as is rice, but rice is usually done pretty much the same wherever you go (at least has been my experience). Noodles however vary greatly, and everyone at the table ordered theirs different - I went for broad noodles this time. I add a little chili oil and black vinegar to the soup, and often wind up eating the whole bowl, probably a good quart or so, after eating all the rest of the meal.

Fortunately, today is a day off for us until a business dinner at 7p tonight. Meaning, after a little rest and a trip to the gym, I may even be hungry again tonight. Either way, I will go to bed a happy, happy man.

No comments: