Saturday, December 1, 2007

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood

Even though I don't care much for watching sports, I love watching the Olympics. I even had the luck to spend 10 days in Atlanta back in 1996 going to a bunch of games. But you couldn't pay me to go to the games here in Beijing. Mostly because it'll be so incredibly, unbelievably crowded. But also because the pollution is so bad here. There's a lot of talk about what the Chinese government is doing to help control it, and if anyone can pour out gobs of money to get something done, it's China. But the reality is that for all the pollution that's caused by all the coal-burning factories and horrible traffic congestion, Beijing is also pretty close to the Gobi desert, and a windy day there is soon a polluted day here. And nothing can be done about that.

Here's what a typical drive to our factories looks like:

Not like there are any clouds in the sky, this is all just hazy smog. Like L.A., only with fake handbags instead of fake people.

 

Today however, has been a spectacularly nice day, at least in Beijing. Over the last 8 years I've probably spent 100 or so days in China, and this is probably the nicest I've ever seen. I've also never seen it rain, and have only been here in fall and winter, so that could have something to do with it.

So, I was able to grab the camera and take some quick shots of note.

This is being constructed right outside my hotel window, the new CCTV building. It's sort of China's BBC, a government-run TV station (actually a few of them). Shame that when it's completed, the public probably won't be allowed inside. Maybe that will change for the Olympics.

 

Somehow, in the middle of the city on a side street, lays a Kenny Rogers Roasters. I've actually been to one or two many years ago, and found them much better than Boston Chicken (ne' Market). But to see one in Beijing just kills me. Not like you can't get KFC at the Great Wall, or McDonald's or Starbucks on every corner here. But Kenny Rogers Roasters? The man's a global marketing genius.

No comments: